Monday 21 November 2011

Chicken and Resting on My Laurels.

So you may have noticed that I haven't blogged in a while. Well that's the thing with being one person who consistently makes enough food for four! I always freeze my extras and that's what I've been eating for the past two weeks.

Sorry but I just didn't feel that a post about defrosting spaghetti sauce was really gonne be that interesting!

Today I made something that was all kinds of delicious!

Basically shake'n'bake chicken legs but I made all the stuff myself.

So what I've recently discovered (while reading recipe blog after recipe blog about fried southern chicken, I don't know I think it's a cold weather craving...) that if you give chicken a buttermilk bath before coating it and frying it, well it's just the darn-tootenist!

I didn't fry my chicken. My reason? Honestly? It seemed wasteful to use that much oil. I wasn't worried about the calories, or the dangers of a pan full of boiling oil but the cost. Of oil, which might be one of the cheapest things in my pantry. It's official, I am the cheapest human alive.

Another thing, who buys buttermilk? Bizarre. There's not really much else to do with it but bathe chicken legs... and I can eat a lot of chicken but that's ridiculous. So wherever a recipe calls for buttermilk I use watered down plain yogurt. Wherever a recipe calls for sour cream I also use yogurt. I am a fan of the yogurt.

So I made a little swimming pool for my poultry legs with:

The juice of one half lemon
Several glops of yogurt
A chopped up clove of garlic
And a teaspoon of cumin

I let them marinate for about 2 hours and then I shook of the marinade and coated them in salt and pepper seasoned cornmeal.

Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 and enjoy!!


2 comments:

  1. the typo police say: shouldn't it be 'shook OFF the marinade'?

    I'm inspired and off to make shake-n-bake from scratch mmm mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great thing to season and coat the chicken in is crushed up Ryvita crackers. So so yummy.

    ReplyDelete